Chickpea “Blondies”

You’d think that after eating up to 2 large servings a day of 3 testing batches in a row, I’d be tired of these. But nope: I blame it on the knowledge they are a mostly-good-for-you type of dessert.

These are not meant to perfectly mimic or replace the most sinful blondies ever made, but to offer a healthy and tasty alternative instead. Yup.

Chickpea “Blondies”:

Non-stick cooking spray
15 ounces (1 can, 425 g) cooked garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup (96 g) raw sugar
1/2 cup (160 g) strawberry or other all-fruit spread
1/4 cup (64 g) crunchy natural peanut butter or tahini
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (42 g) flax meal (sub with other meal or flour if you’re not looking to make these gluten-free)
2 tablespoons (20 g) brown rice flour (sub with other meal or flour if you’re not looking to make these gluten-free)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Lightly coat an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan with spray.
In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until perfectly smooth, scraping sides often.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 26 minutes.
Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely before placing in the fridge and slicing.
Enjoy cold from the fridge. These blondies freeze well, too.

Yield: 8 servings

• Katy says:

What an interesting combination! I just may make to make these today because I’m so curious to know what they taste like.

• Ricki says:

These sound great (of course!). I think I will give these a try asap! :)

• Jes says:

Oh my goodness, those look addicting!

I was at IKEA a week ago to buy a kitchen island and I looked high and low for Spekuloos to no avail. All of my hopes and dreams for your Spekuloos awesomeness were crushed, not unlike the cookies I wanted to crush!!

it would appear I got my spicy cookies mixed up: the ones sold at IKEA are Pepperkakors, basically Swedish gingersnaps, and not Spekuloos. proof enough that it’s been too long since I shopped there! oy vey.
      try to look at the international food market instead, that’s where I found mine.

• Betsy says:

Whoa those look good, but the ingredient list is a bit scary – I’ve never made anything like that! The picture looks so delicious though….

cross my heart, they’re good. I agree the ingredients might be a bit Freddy Kruger-ish, but don’t let them fool you.

• Amanda says:

Only you could make chickpea blondies sound utterly amazing :)