Garbanzai!

Versatile brownie cake, ahoy.
Windy City Vegan tested this for me and became pretty much as obsessed with it as I’ve been since sinking my “teef” into a piece. We’ve tried it gluten free, with less pecans, doing pilates, dancing the jig, doing pilates while dancing the jig, all with great results. Especially with the latter option, because dancing the jig burns calories and that makes room for more brownie cake. Don’t say I didn’t think of everything!

Is it rich? You betcha. What about decadent? Pretty much. But…there’s fiber from the (unnoticeable) chickpeas, as a redeemer. So this stuff really is good for you: QED!

Chick-late Brownie Cake:

Non-stick cooking spray
9 ounces (255 g) baking chocolate chips
3 tablespoons (42 g) solid coconut oil
1/3 cup (64 g) raw sugar
1/3 cup (64 g) Sucanat
Pinch fine sea salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup (84 g) raw pecans, divided (can use only 2/3 cup (56 g), divided, or even only 1/3 cup (28 g) in all by nixing the pecans being left whole)
1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour (can be replaced with 1 cup [160 g] Mochiko flour, combined with 1 teaspoon baking powder instead of only 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Lightly coat an 8-inch (20-cm) square pan with spray.
Combine chocolate chips and oil in a small bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stirring and microwaving again if needed until melted.
Stir in sugars, salt, and vanilla into the mixture. Set aside to cool.
Process 2/3 cup (56 g) pecans until ground, add flour and baking powder, pulse a few times until incorporated. Add chickpeas, process until puréed, scraping sides once.
Add chocolate mixture into the food processor and pulse until just combined, scraping sides once if needed.
Add remaining pecans, pulse a few times until just combined. The batter will be stiff.
Place evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until set and for the sides to pull away from the pan.
Let cool on a wire rack before removing from pan. Let cool completely before enjoying, lest the brownies be crumbly. Enjoy at room temperature or cold.

Yield: One 8-inch (20-cm) pan of brownie cake

• Naomi says:

Ooh, looks and sounds delicious! If anything could convince me to give pecans another chance, it’ll be one of your recipes,

pecans have been evil to you in the past, Naomi?

• Naomi says:

I only seem to happen upon them in the form of way-too-sweet pies! I tried them a few times before I was vegan and since then haven’t taken the time to try them myself in something I’m actually likely to enjoy. This looks awesome!

• Alice says:

I often use beans (especially kidney, adzuki and borlotti) paired with chocolate for cakes and brownies but never tried with chickpeas. They seem to be working :)
    I’m wondering if you can detect that little hint of bitterness of the chickpeas, which however might go perfectly with the chocolate. Actually, I’m thinking that a slice of farinata (my French friends call it socca) with some dark chocolate spread on top would be delicious. So yes, chickpeas and chocolate is definitely a good match, thank you Celine for this enlightening post :)

there’s something about the word “borlotti” that just pleases my ears.
      maybe I am biased, but I really cannot detect any bitterness when chickpeas are used in baked goods.

• Erica Lea says:

Chickpeas, eh? It sounds wonderful. I love the way you use healthy ingredients. Coconut oil, sucanat, raw sugar…

• Afsoon says:

whoa! chickpeas? why not?! and i think i’ll try adding dancing the jig while doing pilates to my exercise routine.

• Jes says:

Sounds delicious! I love how it’s so easily converted to gluten-free too–such a plus!

I’ve been eating so much gf stuff lately that I’m considering switching to at least 50% all the time. I feel a bit comfier, I must admit.