Mamou’s Win-aigrette

Current Mood: Hyper & Sleepy. Hyper Sleepy…
Current Music: Sia’s New Album

I just woke up from a 10-hour nap. Ten hours, people. Spent in bed. As if I had nothing to do and not a care in the world. Who does that kind of stuff?
But it was good and I feel a little refreshed, ready(ish) to face whatever’s thrown my way. Except for rotten tomatoes. Now if you have fresh and ripe tomatoes to throw at me, that’s a whole ‘nother story. I could make a salad of them and drizzle some of Mamou’s magical vinaigrette on there…

But really, there is no vegetable that doesn’t like being doused with the vinaigrette I couldn’t get enough of when I still lived at home. I mean, everyone’s mom makes the best salad dressing ever, right? I don’t know if it’s the extra love they put in or what, but there’s definitely something magical going on.
It yields a perfect quantity for 3.5 ounces (100 g) mixed greens, such as romaine or butter lettuce, or 2 1/2 cups (300 g) cooked green beans, or 1 3/4 cups (300 g) cubed cooked beets, or a heaping and packed 1 cup (125 g) grated carrots. Or anything, really.

(All things considered, I think some extra snoozing time is still in order. I do believe tsetse flies have gone and invaded my salad dressing jar. Now if you’ll excuse me…)

Mamou’s Magical Vinaigrette:

2 tablespoons (10 g) chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed, optional (adjust amount to your liking: this amount makes for a rather garlicky flavor)
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon any mustard (Dijon, yellow, stone-ground…)
1 tablespoon (15 ml) white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) flaxseed or grapeseed oil (or more olive oil)
1/4 cup (6 g) chopped fresh parsley, optional

Combine onion, optional garlic, pepper, salt and mustard, stirring with salad servers. Be sure to crush the onions while stirring to squeeze out all the flavor out of them.
Emulsify with vinegar by drizzling it in while constantly stirring. Slowly drizzle in oils, stirring constantly until the vinaigrette is creamy.
Use on any salad, sprinkling parsley on top: great with cubed beets, shredded carrot, green beans, in rice salads, steamed potatoes…Adjust amounts by doubling or tripling recipe depending on the vegetable/grain it goes onto.

Yield : 1/4 cup (60 ml)

Oh dear, is it any wonder you need all that sleep? Really, with all you’ve had going for the past way-too-long, it’s completely understandable! {hugs}

• Right now I feel like I need a 10 hours sleep, yet I have slept a lot these days! Love the salad & dressing pics :)

• Nora says:

Hey Celine! I gave you a Sunshine Award on my blog! :) http://prideandvegudice.com/2010/06/25/862/ ALso, I made the Creamy Pumpkin Almond Sauce a couple days ago and it is out-of-this-world-insane-good. THANK YOU!

yay! thank you Nora! ♥

• Karen says:

So sorry to intrude, but where is this AMAZING-sounding Creamy Pumpkin Almond Sauce, I must have missed it! :) Don’t see it in the recipes so if I might ask…

it appeared on the old have cake will travel site but I hadn’t reposted it here: it can be found in Joni and my cookbook, but I’ll add it in a comment as soon as I have a minute.

• Karen says:

You iz da BOMB-DIGGITY! :D Oooops, now I’m embarrassed, though – I totally have your book…but eeek, among 500 recipes, I’m afraid I didn’t see it – LOL!!

yeah 500 recipes to leaf through is a bit much! did you find it though?

• Karen says:

Too funny, you! Hi hon – ya know what, my book’s at home and I’m here at work, so no doubt I’ll find it easily once I get home. :D Thank you so much!

just say the word if there’s any prob finding it. I’ll be glad to teleport myself and whip the book into shape for you. ;)
                  (I checked earlier today and I think it’s page 281)

make that page 286. did I mention numbers and I have always gotten along great?

• Karen says:

Oh wow, you get along with them almost as well as I do! ;) I will head STRAIGHT to P. 286. And you can teleport yourself, but just to hang out and stuff, don’t worry about the page – LOL!!

• Juliana says:

Lovely vinagrette…absolutely great for Summer :-)

• [...] lentils (black or brown) 2 cup cooked pasta 1 cup cooked sweet corn (I used canned) Celine’s “Mamou’s Magical Vinaigrette” (or another vinaigrette or sauce of [...]