Neutrality is key: Let’s just call these “Biskies”

Of course we could get our yap on about whether these should be called cookies or biscuits depending on where one hails from, but I suggest we all take a break and a bite instead.
There. Enjoy the silence.

I already made another version of the now ubiquitous flourless cookies in the past but I’m really into revisiting old favorites now that I’m having a little break, so I tweaked it a touch to comply with what is up for grabs in my cupboards.

And they were good, which is why I’m posting this incarnation only: rather crumbly but without spontaneously exploding into a million pieces when you try to pick one up, a little crunchy thanks to the evaporated cane juice and peanut bits, melting into peanut buttery goodness once they hit the intended landing spot (your mouth! I hope?) and filling enough so that it won’t be a problem to act all high & mighty and like you have the most amazing willpower ever when stating “Thank you very much, but one is plenty enough for me, my (most) amazing willpowered self and I!”

So here goes.

Flourless Peanut Butter Biskies:

1 cup (256 g) natural crunchy peanut butter (or other nut butter, at room temperature so that it’s easily combined)
1/2 cup (96 g) evaporated cane juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 tablespoons (28 g) arrowroot powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt if using unsalted nut butter

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
Divide dough into 6 equal portions. You can make more by sizing them smaller, just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Flatten them as much as you like them since the cookies won’t spread out while baking. Use the tines of a fork to make a crosshatch pattern if you desire. (The More You Know…)
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the cookies start to turn golden brown. Take the sheet out of the oven but leave the cookies on there (on the sheet, not on the oven) for at least 10 minutes, until they are firm enough to carefully transfer onto a wire rack.
These will be sturdier if kept in the fridge.

Yield: 6 (or more, with shorter baking time) cookies

Oooh, that gives me an idea – one involving carob. I’ll give it a try and will let you know how it goes. If it goes well, I’ll share the recipe, of course – I’ve made it my mission to help you use that bag of carob powder!

I’m dragging my feet over here making black bean brownies to make use of it, please help!

Help coming… soon-ish. I’m kind of in over my head these days, but I’ll think carob experiment as soon as I can come up for air. :)

I actually used 1/2 cup of the powder in a delicious teacake, yay! I’ll send or post the recipe, if you’d like. it’s made with white whole wheat flour, sweetened with agave, and peanut butter for the fat. oh and I had a pumpkin so I puréed it once it was cooked to replace the applesauce.

• Annika says:

Brilliant as always. I have all the ingredients, or a version of them, so I hope to squeeze them in today. Shouldn’t be hard with such a quick recipe.

I’d love to hear what you think if you make them!

• Annika says:

Mine ended up being a very loose interpretation, like in lieu of vanilla I used dark syrup and my über coarse sugar was crunchy. They were still tasty served with ice cream. :) Nice recipe though, making a mental note for the future.

I’m intrigued, what kind of dark syrup? did you use the same quantity than I used vanilla or more? I’d love to try it your way too.

• Annika says:

The ingredients listed are beet sugar, cane sugar and salt. I don’t know, but the Swedish wiki page for syrup links to golden syrup in English. The dark one is stronger in taste than the light one, more to be used for chocolate and cooking than for candy. It seems to be close to molasses. It’s a jungle out there!

• Looking yummy! Of course, some of us don’t like peanut butter cookies, so I’d have to eat them all myself.

• Kelly says:

Love your nod to neutrality. Whatever you call them, those look sinful.

to be quite honest, I usually don’t even bother calling them anything. I just bite at them with all my might.

• Joy says: