I whip my cream back and forth

Nix and I were talking not so long ago about vegan whipped cream, and she mentioned Healthy Top, which I hadn’t heard of before. So I just went ahead and ordered some, feeling a bit wary after a few bad experiences with a certain can of vegan whipped cream that makes it so a rocket science degree is mandatory in order to see cream actually come out of the can.

But I digress: my mom and I joined forces in pledging allegiance to the whipped cream flag, but never found anything on the international vegan market that truly hit the spot. That is until Healthy Top came upon us, thanks to Nix. And the angels sang! Badly, granted. But they still sang.

The stuff is exactly like the dairy whipped cream I ate back in the days. I don’t know whether it’s a good or a bad thing, because when whipped cream is available, I have a tendency to think that every food item calls for a dollop of it.
Amazon carries it, although I appear to have grabbed the last of their stock for now. My bad?
I can tell you I paid just under $23 for six 16-ounce boxes, which makes a box come to a price tag of not even $4. Not bad, considering it actually works, is tasty and doesn’t need to be refrigerated until opened. More accurately: it needs to be placed in the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to being whipped, for best results.

Another note: if you have a stand mixer, refrain from using it in this case. I had a far fluffier outcome using an electric hand-held mixer. Your arm might feel a bit like a limp noodle when you’re done, but it’s worth it. Don’t wimp out on me, kitchen soldier!

It works perfectly well as a cake topper too, as you can see on the apple spice cake way up there. Funny thing about this cake is that when it came out of the oven, I was sure it would be dry and not pleasing at all. But then I took a big bite yesterday (3 days after making it – I was dragging my feet) and it is one of the moistest and most delicious cakes I’ve ever had. Consider upping the spices a bit for a spicier flavor, if that’s your thing.
I adapted it from this.

Apple Spice Cake with Whipped Cream Topping:

210 g whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
140 g organic powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon Ener-g egg replacer powder (I know. Get over it!)
8 ounces applesauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
Vegan whipped topping, quantity to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Lightly coat an 8-inch (20-cm) cast iron skillet or baking pan with non-stick spray.
Sift the flour, salt, spices, sugar, baking powder and egg replacer powder in a large bowl.
Whisk applesauce, oil, water until combined.
Stir wet ingredients into dry, being careful not to over mix.
Place into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely before topping with whipped cream.

Yield: 8 slices or more

• Nora says:

they even sell vegan soy whipped cream in “migros” which tastes fine but all the weird ingredients put me off…

I’m not sure I had that one. I remember one packed in blue, but I was vegetarian at the time (about 15 years ago), therefore unlikely to check for vegan-ity. weird ingredients be damned, I might just give it a go when I come visit regardless.

• Nora says:

it’s worth a try! you find it in the larger stores in the fridges where the cream is. the blue one is not vegan, this one comes in a white and green package. it’s great for all kinds of dessert but the somewhat strange ingredients don’t qualify it as everyday food…

just like one isn’t supposed to read the comments on the internet, it’s best to be left in the dark as far as ingredients go when an item is otherwise guaranteed vegan. kind of like with calories, too.

• sweetkaroline says:

haha i just about died when i read your post title!! great post as usual:)

Oh! I need to get my local food co-op to carry MimicCream products! It would be *so* cool to be able to serve a good whipped cream to my nephew! (which is not to say that I wouldn’t enjoy having some myself once in a while…)
    Thank you for sharing that recipe: it looks fab, and it will come in handy for all those times when I feel like making a cake but have been to lazy to make milk (and that has happened quite often lately, so I have a feeling I’ll soon know the recipe by heart!).

Meilleurs voeux pour une merveilleuse année 2011, Céline. Qu’elle soit remplie de joie, de paix et de lumière… et qu’elle aligne ses billes de telle sorte qu’elle nous donne enfin l’occasion d’être au même endroit au même moment! :)

une belle année pour toi aussi Josiane! c’est un privilège de te connaître online et je souhaite aussi que l’on puisse se rencontrer pour de vrai cette année. tu penses aller a Portland en août, ou c’est pas faisable du tout?

• kittee says:

dear celine,
    healthy topping makes really really really really really good ice cream.
    xo
    kittee

oh no you didn’t! it’s not like I have 5 boxes left anyway. gaaaaaaaaaah.

• kittee says:

just be careful when you blend it, i made strawberry white chocolate chip and when i put it in my blender with the strawberries it whipped like mad and almost whipped out of the blender….

xo
        kittee

• Ricki says:

Happy New Year, Celine! Love the apple pic. :)