That Ubiquitous No-Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bar Recipe

The other day at breakfast, I went all out and dove into a bowl of the most boring cereal in the world. Bet you are sitting on the edge of your seat by now.
I mean, does a bowl of corn flakes really excite you and fill you up? I’m lucky if it lasts me for more than 1 hour. Give me protein to keep me going! Give me fiber to, er, keep me going? And while you’re at it, give me $10’000 in small bills!

You might be wondering why I had corn flakes handy in the first place if we’re such archnemesises. Archnemeses. if we don’t like each other that much. Or you might just not give a hoot, in which case I applaud you.
The real reason is that Joni’s recipe for sweet potato po’ boys calls for them. Let me tell you I took great pleasure in crushing the living corn out of those flakes.
While I know I will make the boys again because this is one great way to put the corn flakes to use, I didn’t want the cereal to go stale before then.

Which is why I turned the bowl of gloom & doom up there into this:

A super simple, been-done-so-many-times-before, no-bake bar usually made of puffed rice. You know the one. Do I even have to tell you how to do it? Here are the guidelines I used. Find my tweaks below. I happen to have amaretto-flavored agave nectar and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to anything else. It was love at first rotten tooth.

The over-the-top dessert lover in me considered adding a layer of chocolate ganache or a simple melted chocolate drizzle, but the memory of being so sick on sweets earlier that day (to the point where my head started spinning and I spoke in tongues) put me back in my place.

I know this is a cop-out recipe and feel just an eensy bit embarrassed for posting it, but I figure there might be other corn flakes nihilists out there who might want to form a club. We could even come up with a Scorn for Corn logo and knit our own sweaters with vegan-friendly yarn and stuff.

Look, it’s that Ubiquitous No-Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bar Recipe!:

8 cups corn flakes
1 cup agave nectar*
3/4 cup evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
1 cup crunchy natural peanut butter, use unsweetened and salted or add a pinch of sea salt

Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with wax paper. Place corn flakes in a large bowl.
Cook nectar, sugar and peanut butter until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Pour mixture over corn flakes and stir gently until cereal is completely coated.
Press down firmly with an extra piece of wax paper. Cool in the fridge before cutting into bars.

Yield: A lot. Or not, if you have no self-control. Okay, how about 24?

*Someone used 3/4 cup agave nectar with great success. I haven’t tried yet, but will soon.

• Rosa says:

Mmmhhh addictive!

I love corn flakes even if they don’t fill you up or bring you enough energy. I consider them a treat, hence I don’t care about their nutritional value…

Cheers,

Rosa

I’m not known for always paying too much attention to nutritional value either, it’s just that I don’t find them even fun to eat. no Scorn for Corn sweater for you!

• Rosa says:

Des goûts et des couleurs! ;-P

I made a lovely vegan terrine with them. It contained lots of ground hazelnuts. I’m sure you’d like it (I should blog about it)…

Cheers,

Rosa

please do! the more vegan terrine recipes, the merrier. and maybe that’s what will convince me to join the ranks of corn flakes fans after all, who knows?
          do you add sugar on top of your corn flakes? I used to eat them as a kid and totally did. found out my husband did, too. (and then I found frosties/frosted flakes took care of the extra step for us! in a heavy-handed way, that is.)

• Rosa says:

I’m sorry I’ve just realised that I wrote vegan instead of vegetarian! In that case it is not for you… :-( But I guess you could make one the vegan way.

I add very little sugar (light brown) on top of my corn flakes. I never buy the sweetened version which is way to sweet and unhealthy for me… Once I even had to add some salt too as my corn flakes were too bland and lacked salt.

• Mihl says:

This looks like the only way I could ever eat corn flakes again! I love them in recipes, but plain, no way.

• Suzanne says:

I am clearly a total freak, but I love cornflakes so much! I actually look forward to eating them – I’ll have them for dinner sometimes :)

My mum did used to make cornflake cakes with melted chocolate and treacle or syrup though. NOM NOM

no, no, not a freak! I’m not putting down those who actually like them. I’m just picky, cereally speaking.
      and the cornflake cakes you speak of are making me water at the mouth a little. any specs, or you usually just wing it?

• Suzanne says:

TBH, it’s one of my favourite things, if I’m ever in the US, just to go to the cereal isle of a supermarket and absorb the variety – you know how to do cereal over there!

Anyway, cornflakes cakes, Scottish style…melt all the chocolate you have, and shake as many cornflakes in as the chocolate can cover. Pop in a few spoonfuls of lyles golden syrup, and divide into cupcake cases. Let them set a bit, then scoff them with a strong cup of tea!

• Lacey says:

perhaps you should make some of those Ranger Cookies of yours…they are the only reason I buy cornflakes <3

I forgot about those! I think that when I made them, I used another kind of flaky cereal though. just to really get the point across to corn flakes that I mean it when I say I don’t like them. poor things.

• Nicole says:

I used to be addicted to cornflakes with chocolate milk. Is that weird?

Also, does the amaretto-flavoured agave have a really strong flavour? I’ve seen it in stores and am tempted to buy it.

it is really mild and delicious, but I’ve heard the other flavored kinds of agave are awful, especially hazelnut. I used the amaretto one in Carolyn’s tiramisù instead of actual amaretto, and it was faboo.

I don’t think using choco milk to soak corn flakes is weird, quite the opposite: it would add a big load of oomph the stuff definitely needs!