That Ubiquitous No-Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bar Recipe

The other day at breakfast, I went all out and dove into a bowl of the most boring cereal in the world. Bet you are sitting on the edge of your seat by now.
I mean, does a bowl of corn flakes really excite you and fill you up? I’m lucky if it lasts me for more than 1 hour. Give me protein to keep me going! Give me fiber to, er, keep me going? And while you’re at it, give me $10’000 in small bills!

You might be wondering why I had corn flakes handy in the first place if we’re such archnemesises. Archnemeses. if we don’t like each other that much. Or you might just not give a hoot, in which case I applaud you.
The real reason is that Joni’s recipe for sweet potato po’ boys calls for them. Let me tell you I took great pleasure in crushing the living corn out of those flakes.
While I know I will make the boys again because this is one great way to put the corn flakes to use, I didn’t want the cereal to go stale before then.

Which is why I turned the bowl of gloom & doom up there into this:

A super simple, been-done-so-many-times-before, no-bake bar usually made of puffed rice. You know the one. Do I even have to tell you how to do it? Here are the guidelines I used. Find my tweaks below. I happen to have amaretto-flavored agave nectar and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to anything else. It was love at first rotten tooth.

The over-the-top dessert lover in me considered adding a layer of chocolate ganache or a simple melted chocolate drizzle, but the memory of being so sick on sweets earlier that day (to the point where my head started spinning and I spoke in tongues) put me back in my place.

I know this is a cop-out recipe and feel just an eensy bit embarrassed for posting it, but I figure there might be other corn flakes nihilists out there who might want to form a club. We could even come up with a Scorn for Corn logo and knit our own sweaters with vegan-friendly yarn and stuff.

Look, it’s that Ubiquitous No-Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bar Recipe!:

8 cups corn flakes
1 cup agave nectar*
3/4 cup evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
1 cup crunchy natural peanut butter, use unsweetened and salted or add a pinch of sea salt

Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with wax paper. Place corn flakes in a large bowl.
Cook nectar, sugar and peanut butter until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Pour mixture over corn flakes and stir gently until cereal is completely coated.
Press down firmly with an extra piece of wax paper. Cool in the fridge before cutting into bars.

Yield: A lot. Or not, if you have no self-control. Okay, how about 24?

*Someone used 3/4 cup agave nectar with great success. I haven’t tried yet, but will soon.

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lance d, Greg Corbin. Greg Corbin said: I will be making/eating these ASAP! | – http://goo.gl/KMA6F […]

In light of recent comments: open dialogue and discussions are always more than welcome here.

However, starting a so-called dialogue by saying “Skip ingredient x for it is evil, go for y instead” does not a dialogue make.

I rarely delete comments and actually welcome opposing views, just formulate them in a way that does, indeed, invite dialogue.

Thank you in advance.

• gberdan says:

Peanut butter is evil. Very, very evil. I have long ago vowed to rid the world of this vile substance by eating every single drop, bit, and blob of it from the face of the planet. Your health conscious readers would do well to substitute wet cardboard in its place and leave the peanut butter for me to eat. I will commence on a quest for the rotten vile agave and begin anew my removal of peanut butter and corn flakes as soon as I am back from my quest. Not sure if corn flakes are evil, but sugar is. I’m going to be doing a lot of good eating all that evil. I should pick up a cape while I am at the store.

I hope they make a movie out of your exploits, super PB(wo?)man. I’m getting so tired of having Spiderman and X-Men DVDs on repeat.

• Andopolis says:

Brown Rice Syrup should work as a replacement. It’s not as sweet as Honey, Agave, or Corn Syrup, but it’s just as sticky. Somebody probably hates BRS for some reason, but I just thought I’d drop it in as a vegan friendly and Anti-Agave-ist friendly alternative.

I suppose you could use black strap molasses, too, (if you don’t mind the strong taste and icky appearance). That way you could boost your iron. Heck, since I’ve already stumbled into “nobody wants to share my breakfast” territory, you could toss a few chopped prunes and nuts into it for some additional nutritional thrills, and aesthetic shock value.

Anyway, that’s some other recipe. Personally, I’ll be trying this with Amaretto Agave. It just sounds divine.

Good call, the BRS. And I am now finding myself craving that far healthier molasses/prunes/nuts bar thing you came up with here. One day a super sinful bar, the next the healthier one. Now there’s a compromise I could totally work with.

• Chris says:

How long have you found these to last when sitting around and not inhaling them immediately? (I’m waiting for a a comment about how you eat them rather than breathing them in)

I keep mine in the fridge and they last for about 3 to 4 days, I’d say, but the sooner you eat them, the fresher and therefore snortworthiest.
      (I totally have a PhD in stating the obvious.)