Muffin compares to you

I’m still on a posting & muffin kick this week, and since I found myself with more zucchini than you can shake an eggplant at, I decided to go for this recipe and inevitably tweaked it a bit.

They’re really good, but I’m thinking of halving the oil and subbing applesauce or some other fruit purée for the missing oil next time. Not that they’re tasting greasy or anything, I just believe it would make them even better.

I don’t bake with Ener-G much, but when using it or cornstarch (or any other similar type of starch) in muffin recipes, the baked good appears to be rather tough straight out of the oven, although once it has gotten a chance to cool down and even more so the next day, it gets super tender and loving. So much so that it will buy you flowers. And maybe even break into an ear-splitting rendition of Sinéad’s Nothing Compares 2 U that you swore you’d never, ever want to hear again. (Poor song choice, muffin dude. Guess someone will feel no remorse in taking a big bite out of you despite the flowers.)

We’re getting flooded with sun in the apartment these days. It’s like spring decided to show up way early, which means even the muffins couldn’t resist warming their old bones in the benevolent rays. This met with the cats’ approval, until they kicked the muffins out of the way to make room for their own old bones. Survival of the fittest, and all.

Coconut Zucchini Muffins:

Equivalent of 1 egg (still working on getting rid of the huge stock of Ener-G I mentioned the other day, so that’s what I used here)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
150 g (3/4 cup, not packed) light brown sugar
1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
180 g whole wheat pastry flour
(yup, still using it cold from the freezer)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a standard muffin pan with 10 paper liners. Fill remaining 2 cups halfway with water to ensure even baking and to avoid warping of the pan.

Combine faux egg, oil, sugar, zucchini, coconut and extract in a large bowl.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a separate medium bowl. Stir dry ingredients into wet, until combined.
Divide batter equally among 10 paper liners.

Bake for 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully transfer each muffin onto a wire rack to cool.

Store completely cooled leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.

Yield: 10 muffins

• Rosa says:

Muffin compares to them, indeed! ;-P They look so delicious. I love that first shot.

Cheers,

Rosa

• mango says:

these look yummy! interesting combination of ingredients – and i’ve got some applesauce i don’t know what to do with. bookmarking this for the weekend and will report back if i try the applesauce before you!

please do! consider adding a drop of milk in there if the batter looks too dry. it was fine with oil, but since applesauce is not quite as liquid, you might have to moisten it up just a touch.

• Kelly says:

I adore muffins. It occurs to me it’s been too long since I baked up a batch, which given that I am basically muffin-obsessed is shocking! I’m also jealous of all of your sunlight, though I guess we’ve been getting a fair bit here lately, it just doesn’t seem to make up for the fact that it is absolutely frigid. :-(

I know I will change my mind come July, but I’m really digging getting to sit on the patio and just soaking up the sun. just like Sheryl Crow would, only I don’t have my guitar with me, because I don’t even have a guitar. so run, baby. run.

• I sincerely love every single one of your post titles!

• They look awesome! And: I’m so glad that you call them “zucchini” instead of “courgettes” it’s not even funny!

although technically, I really should call them courgettes.
      I think I’ll just call them Bob instead.

• We were utterly mystified at the use of the French term rather than the Italian, when we came to Scotland. I guess it doesn’t make much difference either way, but when you’ve grown up knowing something as “zucchini” and suddenly can’t find them, well, it’s a bit troubling.

sometimes I have this nagging feeling that certain countries use unexpected words to call stuff just to confuse the hell out of us foreigners. paranoid, me? never.

• Yes. My favorite example is the expression “tabled.” In the US, to “table” something means to take it out of active discussion (as in parliamentary procedure, according to Robert’s Rules of Order). In the UK it means exactly the opposite: to “table” something means to bring it up for discussion.

Weirdos.

and I’m the queen of weirdos for not knowing the meaning of “table” (outside of the obvious), be it in the UK or US.

but now I do! and therefore, I owe you.