Muffin compares to you

I’m still on a posting & muffin kick this week, and since I found myself with more zucchini than you can shake an eggplant at, I decided to go for this recipe and inevitably tweaked it a bit.

They’re really good, but I’m thinking of halving the oil and subbing applesauce or some other fruit purée for the missing oil next time. Not that they’re tasting greasy or anything, I just believe it would make them even better.

I don’t bake with Ener-G much, but when using it or cornstarch (or any other similar type of starch) in muffin recipes, the baked good appears to be rather tough straight out of the oven, although once it has gotten a chance to cool down and even more so the next day, it gets super tender and loving. So much so that it will buy you flowers. And maybe even break into an ear-splitting rendition of Sinéad’s Nothing Compares 2 U that you swore you’d never, ever want to hear again. (Poor song choice, muffin dude. Guess someone will feel no remorse in taking a big bite out of you despite the flowers.)

We’re getting flooded with sun in the apartment these days. It’s like spring decided to show up way early, which means even the muffins couldn’t resist warming their old bones in the benevolent rays. This met with the cats’ approval, until they kicked the muffins out of the way to make room for their own old bones. Survival of the fittest, and all.

Coconut Zucchini Muffins:

Equivalent of 1 egg (still working on getting rid of the huge stock of Ener-G I mentioned the other day, so that’s what I used here)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
150 g (3/4 cup, not packed) light brown sugar
1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
180 g whole wheat pastry flour
(yup, still using it cold from the freezer)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a standard muffin pan with 10 paper liners. Fill remaining 2 cups halfway with water to ensure even baking and to avoid warping of the pan.

Combine faux egg, oil, sugar, zucchini, coconut and extract in a large bowl.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a separate medium bowl. Stir dry ingredients into wet, until combined.
Divide batter equally among 10 paper liners.

Bake for 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully transfer each muffin onto a wire rack to cool.

Store completely cooled leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.

Yield: 10 muffins

• how do you come up with these titles, seriously!!!! Love it.

Seeing as how quickly I started craving these, it’s clear that I haven’t made zucchini muffins in way too long. Those ones sound delicious, and will definitely be how I’ll satisfy the craving next time I have zucchini in my possession.

nuke that zuke!
      it’s not my favorite veggie, I must admit. I think Brussels sprouts still are king of this domain, noxious smell and all.

• Courtney says:

I freaking *love* zucchini, so these look fab to me. Why are you in possession of so much zucchini all of the sudden?! Jealous!

Courtney

I needed them for another recipe and since the word “bulk” puts me into a trance, that was the end of me.

• Courtney says:

Tehehe–I am the same way. That and “sale”…I somehow ended up with about 10 bunches of broccoli last week because they were on “sale”. Do you have any broccoli muffin recipes?!?!

Courtney

it might just be the cold talking, but I gagged a little. I’m sure a savory version of them could be swell, though. I just automatically combined sweet + broccoli = hell no!

• Courtney says:

Hahah–I don’t think it is the cold talking. Broccoli muffins DO sound rather repulsive. But broccoli smothered in your no cook cheesey sauce from vegan subs? Now THAT = a win for sure :-)

Courtney

then again, I just made those garam masala (sweet) muffins and they are really good, so who knows? maybe broccoli muffins would actually be edible. just…not today.

• Nix says:

What dont you like about Ener-G? I have noticed sometimes that it doesn’t allow for much rise.
    Oh mannn. I wanted to let you know about this bad boy in case you haven’t tried them yet:

So good I cried.

I really have nothing against Ener-G but I think a lot of vegans find it’s the easy way out, which it kinda is. and some find it gives a cardboard taste to cookies, which I’ve never really experienced.

the shrimp thing freaks me out! don’t get me wrong: I’m all for faux meats on occasion, but this one looks too real for me. there’s also a chicken one that gives me goose bumps of my own with its goose bumpy appearance. shrimp used to be my favorite (mom made mean spring rolls with them) but I think I’ll have to pass. do they taste anything like real shrimp?