Garam, not to be confused with Goram

Inspired by this lovely recipe.

Here’s my entirely new spin on it, made with less oil, less sugar, and whole grain flours, among other changes. For those of you who like their muffins on the low end of the sweet spectrum, try them with only 1/2 cup of Sucanat instead. I like them as is, but they can stand being a touch less sweet, if desired.

Garam Masala Sweet Potato Muffins:

15 ounces (1 can, or 425 g) sweet potato purée
1/4 cup (60 ml) peanut or other mild-flavored oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
3/4 cup (144 g) Sucanat
2 tablespoons (16 g) cornstarch
1/2 cup (80 g) raisins
1 cup (120 g) whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup (80 g) barley flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine sweet potato purée, oil, garam masala, Sucanat, cornstarch, and raisins. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl, add on top of wet ingredients, and stir until combined.
Divide batter among paper liners and bake 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.

Yield: 12 muffins

• Patty says:

Nice spicy muffins C! Oh I do miss the lovely sweet potato – which for some reason they don’t have down here. Luckily there is “winter squash” which would surely be great in these too. :)

• Kristina says:

I am in love with this beautiful tea cup!!
    I need one of those urgently!
    Viele Gruesse, Kristina

• J’adore le mélange garam masala + patate douce ! Du jamais vu encore ! (une combinaison peu commune du moins) Curieuse d’y goûter…

• Nix says:

I play the avid avoidance game with opening the oven for the above mentioned gooey center. Great great tip on keeping the goo at bay. Amazing looking recipe and the Garam Masala is the icing on the cake.

• Boris says:

I made this today and they came out extremely yummy – just as I had expected. This recipe is a definite keeper!
    Two notes though:
    – I thought the spice level could have been upped, perhaps even to 3t of garam masala. But I’m not sure whether the spice mix is the same everywhere. (Plus of course, depending on how long it’s been sitting on the spice rack…)
    – I prepped the sweet potato purée myself by baking 4 small ones in the oven for c. 40 minutes. The resulting batter was extremely thick so I added another 1/8c of soy milk. Also, mashing the potato with a fork resulted in a rather chunky batter – hence my muffin tops didn’t look as smoothly gorgeous as yours but all spiky. Do you think blending the wet mix would be okay?

Thanks for the recipe!
    Boris

ah yes, homemade purées are usually thicker than canned. I think applesauce can be found at the market in Europe, if memory serves right, and the canned veggies purées we get here are usually of the same consistency, if that’s any indication of what to expect when whipping up your own purée.

blending the wet ingredients by themselves prior to adding them to the dry ones should be absolutely fine, and actually definitely recommended.

and you are right about the differences in garam masala mixes: I’ve had extreme variations in levels of spiciness depending on the brands used, not to mention, personal preference coming into play as well.

• Boris says:

Thanks for all the info, Celine! I shall let you know how these come out next time.