Garam, not to be confused with Goram

Inspired by this lovely recipe.

Here’s my entirely new spin on it, made with less oil, less sugar, and whole grain flours, among other changes. For those of you who like their muffins on the low end of the sweet spectrum, try them with only 1/2 cup of Sucanat instead. I like them as is, but they can stand being a touch less sweet, if desired.

Garam Masala Sweet Potato Muffins:

15 ounces (1 can, or 425 g) sweet potato purée
1/4 cup (60 ml) peanut or other mild-flavored oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
3/4 cup (144 g) Sucanat
2 tablespoons (16 g) cornstarch
1/2 cup (80 g) raisins
1 cup (120 g) whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup (80 g) barley flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine sweet potato purée, oil, garam masala, Sucanat, cornstarch, and raisins. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl, add on top of wet ingredients, and stir until combined.
Divide batter among paper liners and bake 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.

Yield: 12 muffins

• Emma says:

What fun! Savoury/sweet spiced muffins..I just added garam masala to my spice rack recently.
    I have exactly the same problem with my baked goods. I’m forever making vegetable/fruit loave with gooey centres :(

frustrating, right?
      sometimes I make the same recipe and it works once only to be a miserable failure the next time. it depends a lot on the moisture of the purée, too. the vegetables are out to get us, I’m telling you.

• Emma says:

Forgot to say…the first thing I made with garam masala was your pumpkin bisque in the Complete guide to Vegan Subs. It is absolutely delicous!

yay! I’ve started buying garam masala in huge containers because it’s gone in no time at all. I’ve grown too lazy to make my own mixes.
      thanks for letting me know about the bisque, Emma.

• Rosa says:

A very interesting muffin flavor! Lovely.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Fanny says:

I think I’ll have to add these to my to-bake list which will get a lot of action once in Sweden again. And yes, I do recognize the problem with gooey centres in both my pumpkin bread as well as my banana bread sometimes. Sometimes I like it, but I prefer a perfectly baked (which in my opinion only include gooeyness when it’s a brownie involved) bread. Muffins is easier in that way, but I tend to over bake them which result in too tough muffins. I clearly have some baking issues to work out. I love how dark your muffins turned out! Pretty :)

I must confess that when quick breads/teacakes are still gooey on the inside, their final destination has to be the trash can. I hate throwing stuff away, but unwanted gooey-ness grosses me out too much.

oh and the ones with ww pastry and cornstarch were a touch less dark. these are the all-purpose and cornstarchless ones.