Bad to the Scone

Unless you’re way overdue for a trip to the ophthalmologist’s like I am, you can see these aren’t scones. They were supposed to be (made vegan), but I overdid it with changes.

Even though the results are super tasty in their own right with that crunchy sugar top, this turned out more like a cake than originally planned. There are already many good vegan chocolate cake recipes out there and therefore no need for me to add one more. Especially not one that could use some major fixing as far as crumbliness goes.

I still appreciate occasional kitchen failures because their only goal in life after all is to annoy the crap out of us keep us bakers and cooks humble. And we all know there’s nothing quite as delectable as a big slice of humble pie, even more so when it’s served à la mode. With a big juicy cherry on top. And now I want to make pie.

• Fanny says:

You really outdone yourself with the capture of the light this time. And I love the top of the cake! Although, I’m not a fan of crumbly cakes so I’ll just admire from a distance. (Quite a long distance, actually, Iceland – you)

the crumbs are flipping you off right now. I think they’re feeling a bit too comfortable because of that distance thing you speak of.
      (I mentioned before that everything in this apartment has major attitude issues.)

• heidi leon says:

well. it looks so delicious and crumbly I wouldn´t mind to have another choc cake recipe on hand.

• Ooooo, that looks delicious, and you had me at ‘crunchy sugar top’. I’m heading out for a run right now – thinking I need to make some chocolate cake when I get back home!

Also, when you said you went all Nicholas Cage on that recipe, I’m just glad you didn’t mean you his a treasure map or conspiracy theory in that there cake. (It’s early. I’m loopy. Need coffee!)

what’s your favorite chocolate cake recipe? I’m partial to wacky cake. I usually use whole wheat flour, powdered sugar and applesauce for the oil, and even when I first went vegan, I couldn’t tell it wasn’t a sinful cake at all.

I keep on typing Nicolas Cake instead of Cage. I don’t know what that says about me. I probably don’t even want to know.

speaking of don’t want to know, here’s an uninteresting random fact for you: Chaz is the carbon copy of Cage in Con Air. so much so that we had several people tell us about the resemblance when they saw the movie. yay?

have a great run!

• No, I’m not just now returning from my run, I just haven’t been back on the Internet until now. Wacky cake is definitely a fave! I usually use spelt flour, and I like to use almond extract instead of vanilla, use coffee (decaf if Ms. Nina will partake) instead of water, and applesauce for oil. Never used powdered sugar – I’ll have to try that!

When I got home, I actually made your Choco-Nut tea cake from 500 Vegan Recipes. I used my very own homemade coconut yogurt, which is a little too tangy for Mar’s taste (those darn cultures!). Yum!

• Jojo says:

It might not have been what you were going for but I’d certainly eat the hell out of it!

• heather says:

Failure? I think not. You could make a killer parfait, or like me, sit in front of a pile and pick away at the crumbs! I wonder if a cake comb would keep the slices in tact? Regardless, so very tempting.

Cheers,