Spekulatius Maximus

UntitledUntitledUntitled

If you too have a sheet of puff pastry wreaking havoc in your freezer along with a jar of homemade speculoos spread waiting for something good to happen to it, you could make this.
Fellow vegan or baking-for-vegans baker: remember to check both the cookies and puff pastry for ingredients, otherwise you will be struck by lightening at the grocery store and there will be a call for clean up on aisle 5 because of you. Troublemaker.

Note that I doubled the batch of spread and since I wanted to finish up my bag of cookies, used a total of 330 g of them, margarine instead of coconut oil, and extra unsweetened soymilk to get the right, spreadable texture.

No need to roll out the sheet of thawed puff pastry, just cut it into 6 strips width-wise. In case you’re as hopeless as I am, width-wise = in a direction parallel to something’s width.
Really not that hard a concept but it’s something I can never assimilate, for the life of me. This is where you point and laugh. And this is where I smirk because I have golden brown speculoos rolls and you don’t.
Now that we’ve gotten the pettiness out of the way…

Spread a generous amount of speculoos love on each strip, making sure most of the surface is covered. Roll each one up kind of tightly. Grease 6 holes out of a standard muffin tin. Place each roll inside the tin, with the filling looking skyward.

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4) and once ready, bake the rolls for 26 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully remove from the tin and let cool on a wire rack.

I wanted to serve mine with a big cold glass of milk but we were all out, so I blended a couple tablespoons of tahini syrup, a small banana and enough water for the drink to be as thick or thin as desired. The outcome is the beverage you can see in the mason jar next to the rolls.

And then there was bliss.

• Ruth says:

These. Look. Great.

• fanny says:

Celine, you’ve gotten me curious about your homemade speculoos spread. I must TRY. xx

you should also be able to find it at the store, but I’m not sure of your current location so that might depend. both homemade and store-bought are really good anyway.

• FoodFeud says:

I LOVE the idea of tahini dressing on top of these already amazing-sounding muffins. They look gorgeous, too. What’s in the jar?

“And then there was bliss.” Yes, that sounds totally plausible. Actually, the absence of bliss would have been odd, considering the amount of blissful stuff you managed to roll into that post.

• Courtney says:

The title to this post sounds like something they would yell in Harry Potter during a dual or something, lol. Geek alert, much!? ;-)

Anyway, those rolls look lovely–they are beautiful!

Courtney

that’s actually what I always yell when I enter the arena to fight lions.
      except I don’t fight lions, I fight Donald Trump clones. and I always win.

• Courtney says:

Well, thank goodness you win…I can’t imagine this world with more than one Donald Trump! It must be the vegan food flying out of your wand that kills them…I hear trump only eats petrified preservative filled foods which is how he is managing to preserve his body despite being old and crusty and icky…