Cutting loose

It’s cookbook testing time again: Tami and I have started working on recipes for a new book that will come out next year. I’m developing most of the sweet stuff for it, with a few savory dishes here and there, while Tami’s doing just the opposite. It’s been lots of fun so far since sweets and baking at large have always been my most favorite cuppa, as the blog name would indicate. I’ll bore you to tears talking about it in coming months. Not really, I’ll keep myself in check.

Since I just finished taking pictures for another cookbook (loved every dish and baked good I made from it, definitely a must-have), I’m all food pics-ed out at the moment. Which explains why most of the just-because pictures taken lately don’t have food in them.

Loose leaf tea galore. The one at the very top is chocolate (with cacao nibs), the one just up here is vanilla, and the one below is citrus. We’re gonna have ourselves a loose leaf tea tasting party this week with Chaz. Pastries included. Little finger in the air mandatory.

A few more random pictures before I go throw a ball for Buffy to kick at: that cat would have made a mighty fine football (eh, soccer) player. Bend it like Buffham? It’s a good thing, because both of us are in need of extra exercise from what the vet told us last week during the cats’ annual check-up. Well she didn’t say I needed the extra exercise, but I do. Either that or less pastries. Ha. Ha…

I bought some steel cut oats last week for fun whole grain bread-baking purposes; I find the design of the can perfect. The can of McCann definitely can. (I’m so sorry.)

Have you eaten piñata apples already? They’re new to me. I found organic ones at Trader Joe’s, and I love them even more than Honeycrisp apples. Gasp! They’re so crisp and juicy, and I haven’t run into mealy ones yet. Can’t say the same for the other kinds I’ve eaten in recent months, so frequently that it made me quit apples for a while. As evidenced below.

Probably the kind of cheap prop (and actual kitchen tool) I use and love the most: the honey dipper that has never even seen honey, but is rather well-acquainted with brown rice syrup instead.

I’ll finally be posting a cookie recipe in the next few days. Better late than never, anyone still reading could have easily assumed this wasn’t even a food blog anymore.
Have a great Sunday and beginning of week, until then!

• Sylvie says:

I have pondered the notion of making tea for some time so this post was stunning (including the other beautiful pictures)!

• Kim says:

Whoa whoa whoa. WHOA. Did you just say you love them MORE than Honeycrisp? I’m gonna have to find these elusive ~pinata~ apples.

I totally did. Maybe if the Honeycrisps hadn’t been mealy and gross like they’ve been recently (for me), I wouldn’t have said it. But I did. I would imagine any TJ’s would carry them, so I hope yours does!

• Rebecca W. says:

funny — the grocery store i shop at had pinata apples on sale! i’d never heard of them so went for the honeycrisp instead. i’m not the most trusting person, especially of something with pinata in the title. but i’ll try the pinata next time!

• I swear, you two are like a well-oiled cookbook making machine! Can’t wait for the next one to come out. If you need another tester thrown in the mix, I will gladly raise my hand to fill that gap ;)
    I adore the rustic feel to your photos, where did you find those bottles? They’re uber cool.

• Michelle says:

Unrelated to this post… I just got an email from Amazon stating that my cookbook I preordered months ago is IN THE MAIL!!! I am so excited but everyone is in bed so I don’t have anyone to talk to and I’m bursting with joy so I thought, well I’ll just get in touch with the authors. Thanks for finishing early. We grind our own organic amaranth, millet, quinoa, brown rice, soy, wheat, beans, corn, lentils, etc. and we usually just adapt recipes but now I’ll have a whole grain baking cookbook with recipes ready and waiting for my grains! I can’t wait! Oh yeah, except that the reason I’m up so late is that I’m in school writing papers so cooking is on hold for a titch. Yikes! Back to work…………. I’m still ridiculously excited though!

Hooray, Michelle! I hope you’ll like the recipes. Don’t hesitate to get in touch anytime if you have questions or comments, I’ll be happy to hear from you. Have a great Sunday!